Birth-Day Weekend

 
I had planned to go all-out on the weekend of my birthday. For all of you who are reading this, my 42nd birthday happened last Friday, October 26. So I am another year into my 40's. Growing old gracefully might not be a pleasant resort. Well, any plans of having another dull, ho-hum birthday was thrown out the window by receiving about 30 text messages from my friends on facebook, which basically lasted all day. I eventually did a YouTube video to thank everyone for remembering my dubious occasion. Every birthday for the past decade, I have set my watch to mark the exact time (8.15 am) I came out into the world to match the time given on my actual birth certificate. Really! Then & only then will I start admitting that I am a year older. Sucks though. Another year added to my age content. 

Adding to this eventful day was my friend Shawn getting me some (surprise surprise) pistachio almond ice cream from Baskin-Robbins. (Maybe bragging about it on facebook helped the case.) Now I was happy! I happily savored every last spoonful of that small tub down to my heart's content while watching over some chili the church was cooking for my church's annual Trunk-or-Treat festivities. This is basically trick-or- treating for the kids while at the Spring Creek UCC parking lot, which the adults decorating their respective trunks in the Halloween theme. Watching a host of kids in their costumes brang back childhood memories of being in a Halloween parade...dressed as Bugs Bunny. I could mention a party where I first was dolled up, but that's another story. The creativeness of some of my church friend's trunks were to my liking, but I just went ahead for the candy. I printed a up a sign a day earlier mentioning my birthday, demanding money and candy. I got a host of the latter. That was gone within 24 hours. There was a diverse crowd of kids that showed up for the festivities. The child may have now become the adult...but I will always be still a kid at heart.

Fast forward a recovering Saturday from having a sweet tooth, Sunday had an early start. Spring Creek, had something called a Progressive Service with three other churches. Including a stop at our church, where the choir sung a song (I still sung in baritone) and enjoyed a sermon from a Rabbi, who did recite a scripture in Hebrew. Sue me for getting up early; I tried to get a good night's slumber with a 12-hour head start and wound up sleeping only a few hours tops. When the final service at a nearby church was completed, there was a large brunch waiting for us. You should've tried the cheesy au gratin potatoes with corn flake topping. So good!!! So were the scrambled eggs. And the orange/apple juice. Now, I know I should've asked for the recipe. This was the kind of brunch I could get acquainted with. 

Completing this weekend was the second annual Rockford Pride Walk. Proceeds go to the 2nd annual Rockford Pride Fest, scheduled for June 1-2. Two days of enjoying to be gay...wonderful!! They even made sure these dates didn't coincide with Milwaukee's long-standing Pride Fest. My friend Gary and I attended the event on this rather chilly Sunday in late October. It's a far cry from last year's event, which took place on the first weekend of that month. The pictures on top were taken during the registration, where I just happened to see a new friend...and an old one as well. The new one is Kris, who, along with her girlfriend and their pug, is the one I met on facebook who returned to town after spending time in northwestern Wisconsin. I had been trying to convince her that my church welcomes everybody and is gay-friendly. She told me that they'll try to make it to next week's service. Had they attended last week's service
they would have seen me dressed up like the photo on my facebook page. There's still time. I got to see my old friend Kismet there. Hadn't seen her in years. She's in school wanting to become a semi-truck driver. She'd make the dough, though at times it can be too damn lonely on the road all alone. Check the picture above for her pic with me. Told her about Spring Creek, too. She'll check it out! Gary did the walk, which took about an hour. I did that in 1.5 hours last year, and still recovering from that! 

Halloween is coming up on Wednesday. Expect me to sit on my ass and probably do a lot more blogging!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can We Really Have THIS MUCH fun In A Calendar Year?