Somebody get Spring on the Phone?

So, here we are, mid-February and we’ve gotten more fucking snow! I’m still driving a cab in this town, currently struggling to find a way to file my taxes for all of my accumulated tips...almost $16,000 worth. I.ve called one place last week, and they say that even if I was to file, I basically wouldn’t even get enough dough back to make a down payment to finally get some wheels of my own. Google says I’m supposed to file a 1040 Schedule C to report my earnings. Yes, I even printed several copies to be on the safe side. Keep in mind it’s been years since I filed a tax return, and knowing all too well going to a tax center will cost me some change. 
It’s another start to yet another week in this world, and I’m watching the ever-so-confusing sci-fi tale Jupiter Ascending, coming from the minds of the Wachowskis, the ones that brought you Sense8. Eh, they probably had a boatload of ideas for some sci-fi shit going on, even though few people will spend up to three hours watching it. I’ve never been an enthusiastic buff of this genre in the movies, anyhoo, what else am I going to watch on a Sunday night, anyway?  I even got asked to come into work tonight. I told them I’m not driving on Sundays, mainly because my ass will be too damn tired from driving the night before! I’m obviously getting older, and all these nights have started taking a toll on my eyesight, sans my glasses. 
Today, I officially completed a commitment that I made to myself last fall. Until a few years ago, I had never heard of the Black Trans Advocacy Conference, or BTAC. It is probably the only event of its kind in the country consisting of trans men & women of color in attendance. A source of inspiration from other trans people. It had gotten me interested in meeting other black trans folks face-to-face.. in a place that I’ve never even been before...DALLAS, TEXAS!!! It turns out there are a good number of us that reside in the Lone Star State, including longtime trans advocates Dee Dee Watters and TransGriot founder Monica Roberts. Both of these ladies are friends with me on Facebook. Maybe I haven’t done much in the 20 years since I first came out. So I came out later in life unlike other people. I thank God, mind you, that I am glad that I did the best of what I could do when I transitioned full-time in April 2014.
This coming April, I, Kayleah D. Madison, will make my inaugural journey into Texas to attend the annual BTAC festivities. I will also try to absorb the knowledge that some of these people will talk about. Maybe, in time, this can make me a batter trans person.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can We Really Have THIS MUCH fun In A Calendar Year?