Winter Soul-Searching While Dreaming of Happiness

Hmm...let’s see...As the cold winds of winter continue to wreck havoc on the Midwest,  I am sitting here, now armed with TWO (yes, I said two) tablets to type away my comments, as I am freely taking a well deserved...uh, break from reality. So nice to be taking a shit while contemplating what else can happen so far this January.
This week, I've learned our Supreme Court has given the green light to our oranged-faced Commander-in-Chief's ban on transgender in the military. There are currently over 15,000 trans people serving our country as I type this blog.  Obviously, the pathetic example of a President we have is destroying this nation little by little. Chances are that what's his face doesn't even know a trans person even if he saw one in the crowd. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being different from the gender you were born with. Many of them have been scrutinized for just being who they are, especially in the bathrooms, where they have been wrongly cross-identified with pedophiles. They just are wanting to do their business in peace.
Now, I do know of a friend that has transitioned after her days in the military. She's upset about this, but she refuses to keep quiet on this issue. Why should she? This person has served her country and still is on reserve, working for the Red Cross. So what if some of these people transitioned after serving their country? What happened yesterday was a mega-slap in the face for transgender rights.
Speaking of which, I have learned about a Trans March on Washington coming up in late March in front of the White House...guessing you-know-who'll be somewhere else. The dates for this monumental event in DC takes place March 31 & April 1. Go to transmarchondc.org for more information. What this current administration has done to reverse everything that the predecessor has done for LGBTQ+ rights has been anything but devastating, if not horrifying. Seeing a growing number of trans sistahs of color being murdered offends me greatly. It's sad when a trans woman like myself may be trying to find someone to love, yet it seems the perpetrator allegedly feels used after finding out about our "T" and assaults her, most times being left for dead. It's a shame that they are forced into doing the oldest profession; our families disown them, people shun them.  Sad reality indeed.
One thing I can do about not being ashamed about being a proud & openly trans woman of color is by attending the annual Black Trans Awareness Coalition (BTAC), April 23-28, 2019, in Dallas, TX.  As of this blog, I have saved almost enough dough to cover both the hotel & registration. Getting to Dallas, however, might be another task, which is not as challenging as it looks. I am still, mind you, a travel agent. I can tell you that I am excited not just seeing a host of my fellow trans brothers & sisters of all shapes and sizes, but also visiting the Lone Star State for the first time ever. I admit the thought of attending this does get into my head while I'm driving my cab during the winter, but I keep reminding myself that's how I've been canned by so many employers for not keeping my mind on the here and now.  I'm THIS close to going, and I can't fuck this up now by any means. Upon my return, chances good that  this coalition can really change my outlook on life. Lord knows I'd love to reinvent myself, even at age 48!
One major goal I would like to accomplish at BTAC is to finally learn what it means to love myself. It's not just how my receding hairline looks, or if my ass will ever lose weight, or if I'll ever get hitched- --which as of right now still ain't happening anytime soon- I'm seeking a total overhaul of my life. I'm still trying to be happy driving a cab here in Rockford, and it's exhausting. This #TaxiDiva is going to be ready to do some soul-searching in Dallas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can We Really Have THIS MUCH fun In A Calendar Year?