#JustBeWhoThisPersonWantsToBe

I've been doing a lot of posting on Facebook in the last few months about what's been going on in my life this summer. Even taken a few pictures to show online as proof. However, this post here is my first commentary in almost two months. Something to keep me occupied while I still have time for a hobby. When you reside in a sleepy town with few close friends like I do, you need something that is worth time-consuming and a bit fun at the same time. So here it goes....

To those followers of my blog (name them), I've already installed three videos of my day at this year's Chicago Pride Parade. Yes, it was a wonderful time had by all who attended the annual LGBT gala, just days after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized gay marriage across this great land, to excited celebrations in the LGBT community...unless you are part of the religious conservative right. Here's the deal: I took over 300 pictures that day on my digital camera. So many it literally wore out the first set of batteries in the camera. I did have a spare set just in case. As I was replacing the dead batteries with new ones, one of the parade floats came by and flung one of the many rainbow-colored wristbands to the parade-goers.  This caught me off guard. One certain wristband just happened to land in my lap...and I didn't even see it coming, either. It was courtesy of JP Morgan/Chase, by the way. I looked at the wristband and it simply read: "Just Be You". In this day and age, why shouldn't one NOT be? 

Since that day, I covet the message given on the wristband. As if God was watching over me. I take it wherever I go. It's usually on the rear-view mirror on the cab that I drive to remind me of what I stand for. You'd see it hanging on the rear-view mirror of the cab that I drive around Rockford most days. Something to look at other than touching up my makeup or if I have anything in my teeth. Trust me, it can get quite dull driving a cab in this town. Yet I have been saving up my money for two different things; one of them was accomplished just last week. I went into the Winnebago County Courthouse and FINALLY applied to legally have Kayleah become my official identity. It took all of $287 for the filing, which my ass never thought at first I'd reach one day. The court date is now set for Wednesday, October 7 at 10:00am to have this legalized. You know my ass will be shrieking out loud in excitement! After nearly a decade of visioning of having my name and gender changed, it's about to finally come true.

Saving money to have my name changed is one thing; having my own ride is entirely another. It's been quite a while for me to have own a set of wheels-one major thing to accomplish in 2015. I shouldn't give a damn about what kind of ride I can get after saving up some more dough. The last car I had-a 1994 Dodge Caravan, originally priced at $17,000 when it first came out- I paid under $900 plus the registration. Happy days it was. Thankful to be among those who owned their own ride instead of making payments on them. I did get my money's worth on it, too. Then came 2011, when Mariah and I got evicted from our apartment of almost 9 years, resulting in the motel life ever since. I REALLY hated selling the van just to make a few bucks, let alone a blown head gasket. That's now in the past. Time to save some dough via this lousy cab company I work for and hopefully see something that's reasonably priced just like before. You could save up a ton for a ride that you may see someone else drive. Then you remember, it's still a car that can get you from Point A to Point B. You can customize it later after you've made more money. I currently have about $200 saved up now, and I've seen a few rides around town for about $600. Gotta know two things: how mechanically sound it is and any possible physical body damage you can tell me about it. Lord knows I am NOT paying for a damn lemon! 

Having your own ride is so key in a town like this, where the public transportation basically does suck. After 6:00 pm, some bus routes here call it a night. Some others don't run on the weekends. Call yourself screwed if not for the taxi business here. Or your friends/family. Not having my own ride has actually prevented me from getting hired at one transportation company here, where some shifts start as early as 4:00 am! They will consider me when I do get my own car, though. One day, we will find a new place to call home in this town, and there might not be any bus stops to be found!  I can't continue to rely on my church friends for rides everywhere. The cab I drive does allow me to do a few personal errands on the side-laundry, groceries, mail,etc. Yet it's not the same as having your own ride! It can still be possible to have one this year, maybe even in time for the holiday season. Pray for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can We Really Have THIS MUCH fun In A Calendar Year?